back to list
Code Project Open License (CPOL) 1.0
this license had a short life and was quickly replaced by version 1.02. Yet there are some example of usage in the wild.
The Code Project Open License (CPOL) 1.0
***** Preamble *****
This License governs Your use of the Work. This License is intended to allow
developers to use the Source Code and Executable Files provided as part of the
Work in any application in any form.
The main points subject to the terms of the License are:
* Source Code and Executable Files can be used in commercial applications;
* Source Code and Executable Files can be redistributed; and
* Source Code can be modified to create derivative works.
* No claim of suitability, guarantee, or any warranty whatsoever is
provided. The software is provided "as-is".
This License is entered between You, the individual or other entity reading or
otherwise making use of the Work licensed pursuant to this License and the
individual or other entity which offers the Work under the terms of this
***** License *****
THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CODE PROJECT
OPEN LICENSE ("LICENSE"). THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER
APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE
OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED.
BY EXERCISING ANY RIGHTS TO THE WORK PROVIDED HEREIN, YOU ACCEPT AND AGREE TO
BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. THE AUTHOR GRANTS YOU THE RIGHTS
CONTAINED HEREIN IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH TERMS AND
CONDITIONS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ACCEPT AND BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS
LICENSE, YOU CANNOT MAKE ANY USE OF THE WORK.
1. "Articles" means, collectively, all articles written by Author
which describes how the Source Code and Executable Files for the
Work may be used by a user.
2. "Author" means the individual or entity that offers the Work under
the terms of this License.
3. "Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work
and other pre-existing works.
4. "Executable Files" refer to the executables, binary files,
configuration and any required data files included in the Work.
5. "Publisher" means the provider of the website, magazine, CD-ROM,
DVD or other medium from or by which the Work is obtained by You.
6. "Source Code" refers to the collection of source code and
configuration files used to create the Executable Files.
7. "Standard Version" refers to such a Work if it has not been
modified, or has been modified in accordance with the consent of
the Author, such consent being in the full discretion of the
8. "Work" refers to the collection of files distributed by the
Publisher, including the Source Code, Executable Files, binaries,
data files, documentation, whitepapers and the Articles.
9. "You" is you, an individual or entity wishing to use the Work and
exercise your rights under this License.
2. Fair Use/Fair Use Rights. Nothing in this License is intended to reduce,
limit, or restrict any rights arising from fair use, fair dealing, first
sale or other limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner
under copyright law or other applicable laws.
3. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, the
Author hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive,
perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to
exercise the rights in the Work as stated below:
1. You may use the standard version of the Source Code or Executable
Files in Your own applications.
2. You may apply bug fixes, portability fixes and other modifications
obtained from the Public Domain or from the Author. A Work modified
in such a way shall still be considered the standard version and
will be subject to this License.
3. You may otherwise modify Your copy of this Work (excluding the
Articles) in any way to create a Derivative Work, provided that You
insert a prominent notice in each changed file stating how, when
and where You changed that file.
4. You may distribute the standard version of the Executable Files and
Source Code or Derivative Work in aggregate with other (possibly
commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial)
5. The Articles discussing the Work published in any form by the
author may not be distributed or republished without the Author's
consent. The author retains copyright to any such Articles. You may
use the Executable Files and Source Code pursuant to this License
but you may not repost or republish or otherwise distribute or make
available the Articles, without the prior written consent of the
Any subroutines or modules supplied by You and linked into the Source
Code or Executable Files this Work shall not be considered part of this
Work and will not be subject to the terms of this License.
4. Patent License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each
Author hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-
charge, royalty-free, irrevocable (except as stated in this section)
patent license to make, have made, use, import, and otherwise transfer
5. Restrictions. The license granted in Section 3 above is expressly made
subject to and limited by the following restrictions:
1. You agree not remove any of the original copyright, patent,
trademark, and attribution notices and associated disclaimers that
may appear in the Source Code or Executable Files.
2. You agree not to advertise or in any way imply that this Work is a
product of Your own.
3. The name of the Author may not be used to endorse or promote
products derived from the Work without the prior written consent of
4. You agree not to sell, lease, or rent any part of the Work.
5. You may distribute the Executable Files and Source Code only under
the terms of this License, and You must include a copy of, or the
Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License with every copy of
the Executable Files or Source Code You distribute and ensure that
anyone receiving such Executable Files and Source Code agrees that
the terms of this License apply to such Executable Files and/or
Source Code. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that
alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients'
exercise of the rights granted hereunder. You may not sublicense
the Work. You must keep intact all notices that refer to this
License and to the disclaimer of warranties. You may not distribute
the Executable Files or Source Code with any technological measures
that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent
with the terms of this License.
6. You agree not to use the Work for illegal, immoral or improper
purposes, or on pages containing illegal, immoral or improper
material. The Work is subject to applicable export laws. You agree
to comply with all such laws and regulations that may apply to the
Work after Your receipt of the Work.
6. Representations, Warranties and Disclaimer. THIS WORK IS PROVIDED "AS
IS", "WHERE IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE", WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OR GUARANTEES. YOU, THE USER, ASSUME ALL RISK IN
ITS USE, INCLUDING COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT, PATENT INFRINGEMENT,
SUITABILITY, ETC. AUTHOR EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR
STATUTORY WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION,
WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, MERCHANTABLE QUALITY OR
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR ANY WARRANTY OF TITLE OR NON-
INFRINGEMENT, OR THAT THE WORK (OR ANY PORTION THEREOF) IS CORRECT,
USEFUL, BUG-FREE OR FREE OF VIRUSES. YOU MUST PASS THIS DISCLAIMER ON
WHENEVER YOU DISTRIBUTE THE WORK OR DERIVATIVE WORKS.
7. Indemnity.You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Author and
the Publisher from and against any claims, suits, losses, damages,
liabilities, costs, and expenses (including reasonable legal or
attorneysâ fees) resulting from or relating to any use of the Work by
8. Limitation on Liability. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW,
IN NO EVENT WILL THE AUTHOR OR THE PUBLISHER BE LIABLE TO YOU ON ANY
LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR
EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENSE OR THE USE OF THE WORK OR
OTHERWISE, EVEN IF THE AUTHOR OR THE PUBLISHER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
1. This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate
automatically upon any breach by You of any term of this License.
Individuals or entities who have received Derivative Works from You
under this License, however, will not have their licenses
terminated provided such individuals or entities remain in full
compliance with those licenses. Sections 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and
11 will survive any termination of this License.
2. If You bring a copyright, trademark, patent or any other
infringement claim against any contributor over infringements You
claim are made by the Work, your License from such contributor to
the Work ends automatically.
3. Subject to the above terms and conditions, this License is
perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright in the
Work). Notwithstanding the above, the Author reserves the right to
release the Work under different license terms or to stop
distributing the Work at any time; provided, however that any such
election will not serve to withdraw this License (or any other
license that has been, or is required to be, granted under the
terms of this License), and this License will continue in full
force and effect unless terminated as stated above.
10. Publisher. The parties hereby confirm that the Publisher shall not, under
any circumstances, be responsible for and shall not have any liability in
respect of the subject matter of this License. The Publisher makes no
warranty whatsoever in connection with the Work and shall not be liable
to You or any party on any legal theory for any damages whatsoever,
including without limitation any general, special, incidental or
consequential damages arising in connection to this license. The
Publisher reserves the right to cease making the Work available to You at
any time without notice
1. This License shall be governed by the laws of the location of the
head office of the Author or if the Author is an individual, the
laws of location of the principal place of residence of the Author.
2. If any provision of this License is invalid or unenforceable under
applicable law, it shall not affect the validity or enforceability
of the remainder of the terms of this License, and without further
action by the parties to this License, such provision shall be
reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make such provision
valid and enforceable.
3. No term or provision of this License shall be deemed waived and no
breach consented to unless such waiver or consent shall be in
writing and signed by the party to be charged with such waiver or
4. This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties
with respect to the Work licensed herein. There are no
understandings, agreements or representations with respect to the
Work not specified herein. The Author shall not be bound by any
additional provisions that may appear in any communication from
You. This License may not be modified without the mutual written
agreement of the Author and You.